As a part of the regular business of the Drum Corps International voting membership in January, an election was held to empanel the board of directors who will guide and provide oversight to the operational affairs of the corporation for the coming year.
Elected were first-time board candidates Vicki MacFarlane, director of the Colts organization of Dubuque, Iowa, and Alfred Watkins, renowned educator and retired director of bands of Lassiter High School in Marietta, Georgia. Reelected to an additional term was incumbent Jonathan Powell.
Vicki MacFarlane (Colts)
• Colts youth programs director since 2001, Colts director since 2012
• Master of nonprofit leadership and management
• 2018 Women of Achievement Award for Service & Support of Community
Jonathan Powell (Blue Stars)
• Plant Manager, Premium Waters Inc., Allentown, Pennsylvania
• Served on the DCI Board of Directors since 2019
• Background in business administration, human resources, nonprofit management, LEAN/Six Sigma Green Belt
Alfred Watkins (Unaffiliated)
• Retired director of bands at Lassiter High School, Marietta, Georgia
• Co-founder, Minority Band Directors National Association, Inc.
• Inductee into the Bands of America Hall of Fame and Georgia Chapter of the Phi Beta Mu Hall of Fame
Thanks were extended to Kathy Black (Unaffiliated) and David Glasgow (Bluecoats) who completed their board terms in 2021.
The newly-elected board members joined Chris Holland, James Doyle, John Masterson, Don Rawlins, Patrick Sweeney and Jim Tabuchi for the first time at the conclusion of DCI’s annual winter business meetings to begin a new year of work and oversight.